Director of Catering and Restaurants
Location: 6260 Highway 7, Vaughan Ontario
Posted date: July 14, 2022
Overseas and directly responsible for the operations and hospitality experience of all restaurants (David Duncan House and Petros82) and our off premise catering company Peter and Paul's Event Catering. This position is for a well-seasoned restaurant and catering professional excited to take on a new challenge with extensive food/wine and service knowledge, who poses a high energy level, exceptional organization skills, business acumen, and leadership qualities. This positions main focus will be to improve and streamline operations with particular focus on expanding the catering operation and creating innovative revenue activations within the restaurants.
- Overseas the entire operation and hospitality experience at all restaurants and within our off premise catering division
- Works leads the teams to create a memorable hospitality experiences for our clients and ensures client satisfaction by leading, supervising, directing, developing and training employees to ensure that "Excellence" is the standard always
- Strategizes and partners with the Marketing department to leverage offers and services to increase business at the restaurants. Creates and implements innovative revenue generating activations within a restaurant setting
- Creates and implements new operational techniques to enhance the client experience based on current trends as well as maintains knowledge of new and evolving techniques in the hospitality industry to ensure our restaurants and off premise catering are maximizing efficiencies and consistently innovating
- Creates, develop, and recommend short and long-term operational guidelines and procedures, annual operating budgets, and capital budget programs that are aligned with revenue goals, analyzes revenue and labor reports, making strategic adjustments as necessary to ensure maximum efficiency and profitability
- Develops a business plan that will support Company initiatives and enhance catering and restaurant quality and service, associated costs, employee development, retention strategies, and employee productivity benchmarks, as well as establish the criteria for screening and selecting new employees to match business volumes and ensures optimum support for each venue
- Establish a hospitality culture with accurate and timely service to the highest level of customer satisfaction and propose innovative solutions for continual improvement for both operations and employee/client engagement
- Establishes goals, objectives, and strategic planning and provides direction, guidance, and support to ensure the successful operation of the restaurants and catering including promoting excellent client/team member relationships by reacting promptly, efficiently, and courteously to all clients and associate concerns, and is responsible for the safety, appearance, and operation of the venues
- Overseas the client recovery process
- Oversees inventory purchases and supplies, uniforms, manages accuracy of inventory management system, and cost controls for related expenses
- Monitors and controls the maintenance/ sanitation of restaurants, grounds, kitchen, equipment, and related areas to ensure a healthy, safe work environment which meets/exceeds company standards and regulations
- Maintains restaurant repair and capital improvement budgets, ensure cost effectiveness, forecasts and plans facility improvements by establishing criteria for repair versus replacement, and proactively works to circumvent any damages to assets through preventative maintenance
- Develop and oversee comprehensive vendor contracts which provide a quality product at a fair price while establishing project control numbering system in accordance with the three-bid system, and communicating with vendors and contractors on a consistent basis to streamline processes and maintain accountability
- Maintains training and certifications applicable to the management members and ensures all training, regulatory, inventory, and team member documentation is complete and up to date i.e.: employee files
- Create an environment that motivates employees to collaborate, learn, perform their best, and develop their skills as it relates to lifelong learning and their Company career while utilizing professional development and appropriate training programs that monitors results through evaluation, inspection, and analysis
- Develops a comprehensive recruit strategy for the restaurants and catering including a full time staffing agency that can rotate amongst our restaurants and catering events while building solid teams at all levels of management in the venues including hourly staff
- Manages all weekly operations/event meetings and ensures ongoing dialogue and communication
- Works with the culinary team to develop ever evolving and seasonal menus and beverage lists
- Trouble shoots and problem solves any all issues that require senior level management and support
- Must have a "can do attitude" willing to roll up their selves to ensure success
Qualifications: The successful applicant must possess the following:
- Bachelor's Degree in Hospitality or Restaurant Management, Business Administration or related field required.
- Extensive food and wine knowledge
- Minimum twelve (8) years' experience in the hospitality/hotel industry required.
- Minimum eight (4) years' progressive supervisory and managerial experience, directing, leading, and coaching others to exceed organizational standards
- Must have experience managing multi restaurant operations and understand and have experience in off premise catering
- Must have previously held a senior management position within a high end hospitality setting
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of minimum educational/experience requirements.
- Ability to prepare, understand, present, and analyze business strategies.
- Ability to prepare menus and retail pricing understanding food costs and overhead etc.
- Advanced proficiency in budgeting, Profit & Loss, and business planning mandatory
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and POS Systems
- Proven managerial problem-solving
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
- Proven critical thinking skills
- Experience with activations that generate revenue i.e.: wine tastings, theme nights, open houses
- Ability to identify and prioritize issues, delegating as appropriate, to drive measurable results
- Must possess demonstrated leadership ability; as well as, organizational and strategic agility
- Demonstrated ability for people development and employee engagement by mentoring, motivating, coaching, consistently providing feedback, and holding team members accountable
- Reports to work daily from 9am until 5pm Tuesday thru to Sunday. This position requires availability of evenings, weekends, and holidays for those events/demand days that occur outside of normal working hours or required duties. This is a full time salaried position and expectation is no less than 52 hours per week.